By Diana Nial
As a dining car attendant on Swiss trains, tourists often asked me to recommend reasonably-priced hotel accommodations in Zürich. Thus it was very interesting to seek some out now for Gemütlichkeit readers. The hotels I came up with are not five-star deluxe but smaller, cozy, spotlessly clean, well-situated for tourists arriving or leaving by air or train, and presided over by friendly and helpful staff. Advance reservations are strongly advised. Unless otherwise noted, prices include breakfast and taxes.
Zürich Airport Area
• Hotel Welcome Inn: Situated in Kloten just five minutes drive from the airport, the Welcome Inn is one of the Wohlgemuth family hotels. Previously a Swissair steward, Mr. Wohlgemuth introduced an international flavor to this hotel not only in its various restaurants but in meeting the needs of his many international guests. Excellent well-appointed, soundproofed rooms. Private parking, shops, main highway and railroad close by. Free airport shuttle bus runs 0600 to 1250 and 1645 to 2250.
Welcome Inn Holbergstrasse 1, CH-8032 Kloten, tel. 01/814 0727, fax 01/813 5616. Singles Sfr. 115 ($79), doubles Sfr. 154 ($106), breakfast buffet Sfr. 12 ($8).
Note: Welcome Inn has three sister hotels in the immediate airport area but somewhat more expensive, they are:
• Hotel Fly Away: Very new, modern hotel with full amenities almost next door to Welcome Inn.
Hotel Fly Away Marktgasse 19, CH-8302 Kloten, tel. 01/813 66 13, fax. 01/813 51 25 - Singles Sfr. 145 ($100), doubles Sfr. 182 ($125), breakfast buffet Sfr. 14 ($10).
• Hotel Airport: Fine four-star hotel in Glattbrugg with restaurants serving Japanese and European cuisine.
Hotel Airport Oberhauserstrasse 30, CH-8152 Glattbrugg, tel. 01/810 44 44, fax 01/810 97 08. Singles Sfr. 162-180 ($111-123), doubles Sfr. 212-235 ($146-$162), depending on day of the week.
• Hotel Coronado: Halfway between Zürich airport and the city, beautifully renovated with 80% of rooms air-conditioned. Parking, transport and a fine Italian restaurant.
Hotel Coronado Schaffhauserstrasse 37, CH-8057 Zürich, tel. 01/363 06 50, fax 01/363 0656. Singles Sfr. 115-150 ($79-$103), doubles Sfr. 150-195 ($103-134).
Other Choices Near Airport
• Hotel Restaurant Landhus: Situated in Zürich-Seebach, also just five minutes drive from the airport. The hotel was completely renovated in 1996 in an extremely tasteful Mediterranean style. There are 28 well-fitted rooms with private bathrooms, radio, satellite TV, telephone and hairdryer. The new restaurant, including a large garden terrace at the front and back, is a delight, decorated in the attractive blue and yellow colors of Provence. The menu offers a fine range of reasonably-priced French and Italian cuisine as well as Swiss specialities.
The situation is ideal: buses pass the door taking you directly to the airport and trams convey you to the city center without the worry of parking. Shops and sports facilities (tennis and swimming in summer) are at hand.
Hotel Restaurant Landhus Katzenbachstrasse 10, CH-8052 Zürich-Seebach, tel. 01/308 34 00, fax. 01/308 34 51. Singles Sfr. 115 ($79), doubles Sfr. 145 ($100).
• Hotel-Restaurant Bahnhof: Alongside Glattbrugg railroad station, a stones-throw from the Hotel Landhus and on the same bus route to the airport, eight newly refurbished rooms with bath/shower and five apartments offer a Swiss chalet atmosphere. A variety of eateries include the Victoria Pub, a grillroom, a veranda and a small, cozy fondue room with food and prices to suit everyone. Easy access within minutes to the main highway, airport and by train to Zürich city center.
The one-bedroom apartments are equipped with modern phone/fax and, upon request, worldwide computer linkups. One disadvantage; no elevator but a maximum of three flights of stairs and most accommodations on the lower floors.
Hotel-Restaurant Bahnhof, Schaffhauserstrasse 51, CH-8152 Glattburg, tel. 01/809 62 12, fax 01/809 62 09. Singles Sfr. 98 ($68), doubles Sfr. 149 ($102).
• Hotel-Restaurant Frohsinn: A family run hotel with 24 rooms (only 12 with private bathrooms), situated once again five minutes by car or bus from the airport, main highway and shops. Bus-stop to and from airport just 100 yards away. This small, traditional Swiss hotel has an elevator, free parking and large restaurant with an open-air terrace for fine weather. The latter offers an interesting assortment of meals and snacks at very reasonable prices
Hotel-Restaurant Frohsinn Wallisellerstrasse 74, CH-8152, Opfikon-Glattburg, tel. 01/810 61 43, fax 01/811 22 42. Singles Sfr. 80 ($55) and doubles Sfr. 130 ($90).
Note: Hotels which do not have their own airport buses will arrange for shuttle pickups - prices on request. Taxis to and from the airport to any of these hotels cost approximately. Sfr. 17 ($12); or public transport buses approximately Sfr. 3 ($2) per person, tickets obtainable from the bus driver.
Zürich City Area
• Hotel Du Theatre: Centrally located very near the main railroad station. Regular train service to and from the airport or shuttle bus upon request. Pleasant breakfast room, 56 light airy rooms with bath or shower, telephone, TV and minibar. Ideal situation for sight-seeing and shopping in both the old town and the city center.
Hotel du Theatre Seilergraben 69, CH-8001, Zürich, tel. 01/252 60 62, fax 01/252 01 54. Singles Sfr. 90-130 ($62-90), doubles Sfr. 130-180 ($90-124). Public parking nearby.
• Hotel Limmathof: Situated virtually opposite the Hotel du Theatre at central alongside the Limmat River. Pleasant rustic hotel. 62 rooms with either bath or shower. Approximately 50% of rooms with TV.
Hotel Limmathof Limmatquai 142, CH-8023, Zürich, tel. 01/261 42 20, fax 01/262 02 17. Singles Sfr. 100-110 ($69-76), doubles Sfr. 128-160 ($78-110). Prices 10% less in winter.
• Hotel Walhalla: A three-star hotel beside of the main railroad station. Until recently was called "Arc en Ville." Important upgrades are foreseen in summer 1997 although the hotel was renovated not so long ago. 65 rooms have shower/bath/WC, hairdryer, TV, telephone and minibar. Excellent location for trains, excursions and shopping in Zürich. Parking possible and tram stops outside hotel. There is a restaurant. Ask for one of the larger rooms.
Hotel Walhalla Sihlquai 9, CH-8031, Zürich, tel. 01/446 54 00, fax 01/446 54 545. Singles Sfr. 80-120 ($55-83), doubles Sfr. 120-160 ($83-110). Continental breakfast Sfr. 9.50.
Englishwoman, Diana Nial, has spent most of her life in Switzerland, including six years as a dining car attendant on Swiss trains. She wrote Tracking Across Switzerland, a book about her experiences. Order it at 800-521-6722.