A nifty town on one of the country's largest lakes and divided by the river Limmat, Zürich has an amazing, second-to-none public transportation system and is perhaps the cleanest big city you'll ever see. On the Limmat's right bank, the commercial and banking center gathers along the posh Bahnhofstrasse where the stores are not flashy but verrrry expensive (perhaps a $1500 clutch purse from Louis Vuitton?). Across the river on the left bank, the old-town's narrow lanes have just the right mix of odd shops, hole-in-the-wall restaurants, avant garde galleries, seedy bars, and lively beer halls.
- Fraumünster with Chagall stained glass windows
- Swiss National Museum
- Window shop both sides of the Bahnhofstrasse, then explore the more down-to-earth old town.
Places to Stay
- Hotel Florhof, CH-8001 Zürich, Florhofgasse 4, tel. +41/01/261 4470, fax 261 4611, Doubles $198 to $222
- Hotel Arlette, Stampfenbachstr. 26, CH-8001 Zürich, +41/01/252 00 32, fax 252 09 23. Doubles about $120
A Place to Dine
- The atmospheric Zeughauskeller near Paradeplatz is touristy but serves great food at affordable prices.