These are subjective choices and we'll no doubt hear some dissenting views, but we regard the Mosel as quieter and prettier than the more famous Rhine. We like the wine better, too.
• Bernkastel Kues
• Miles of steep, terraced vineyards, Eltz Castle, the castle at Cochem.
• In Trier, see Porta Nigra and the Roman Baths and Amphitheatre.
• Take a day or two to drive its length.
A Place to Stay
• Trier, Hotel Petrisberg, Sickingenstr. 11, (tel. +49/0651/4640, fax 0651/46450) Doubles $84 to $92.
A Place to Eat
• Hotel Weinhaus Moselschild, Ürzig, tel. +49/06532/9393-0