Except for Berlin, few Americans venture north of Frankfurt and so miss this great port city. Like Berlin and Munich, Hamburg is full of fine restaurants, top-flight shops, theaters, museums, and concert halls. It has one of Europe's finest ballet companies.
• St. Michael's Church
• Fine Arts Museum
• Sunday morning Altona Fischmarkt
• Reeperbahn, the city's legal and lively "red light" district.
• Go west along the north shore of the Elbe to Wedel. There you'll find the Schiffsbegrüßungsanlage, a place where the many ships traveling the Elbe between the sea and Hamburg are saluted. As each ship passes this point, the flag of its home country is raised and its national anthem is played over a speaker system.
A Place to Stay
• Hotel Abtei, Abteistr. 14 (tel. +49/040/442905, fax 449820) Doubles $181 to $253
A Place to Eat
• Fischereihafen-Restaurant Grosse Elbstr. 143, tel. +49/040/381816